Listed among the Appleton buildings designed by William Waters in 1873 was Mr. H. A. Foster's Drug Store. A truly impressive building as an anonymous reporter for The Oshkosh Times told of his trip to Appleton in the September 3, 1873 edition of the paper. The author was asked to accompany Messrs. White and Alexander, proprietor of an Appleton livery stable, to that city. The report tells of the fast growing town and what a credit to the city were the many fine business block erected along College Avenue.
Of particular interest was the Foster Drug Store, which the author describes as being “One of the handsomest that we’ve seen in the west, outside of Chicago”. He goes on to note that the plans were drawn by William Waters who was superintendent of construction. The stores furniture was provided by Brand and Cole of Oshkosh with counters and display case made of Walnut and Oak. The writer goes on to laud everyone who made for a successful business block and encourages visitors to Appleton to call at Foster’s store.
Over the years there were alteration made to the building before it was demolished. There were other commercial buildings in Appleton that came from Mr. Waters drawing board and these have been the object of previous posts: they include the First National, Manufacturer’s and Commercial Banks as well as the Sherman House and Framer’s Hotel.Architect Waters also drew plans for several other commercial building which be the subject of subsequent posts.