Saturday, November 6, 2010

Appleton residences Part Two

In "Appleton residences part one" three houses from the 1880's were reviewed. This post will deal with three more dwellings from later dates. As the decade of the 80's came into full flower Mr. Waters altered his approach to the Queen Anne style. These later works show a more ornate and delicate nature. The same elements; porches, bay windows and chimneys are prominent but feel different as does the mass of the structure. There is a greater variety of surface texture and ornamentation. Varied fenestration adds visual appeal.

The dwellings under consideration were all of wooden frame construction, two date from 1885 and one from 1890, all have been razed. They are the Peabody home, A. W. Patton residence and the Stimson house. Mr. Peabody was a successful merchant, operator of the Pettibone and Peabody dry goods store. In 1885 he had a charming Queen Anne style house built near the Lawrence campus. A porch rapped around two sides and access was gained by steps on either side. The first story was clad with clapboards and the second with shingles. There is a bay which rises from the second floor to the attic and there is an elegant oval window above the porch. An ornate cartouche occupies the space between two gable windows and the gables are supported gracefully curved brackets. At sometime Lawrence acquired the place and used it for a while and later demolished it to accommodate a new building.
A. W. Patton was the president of the Patton Paper Co. and resident of Neenah prior to having a home built in 1885 on Appleton's Park St. The structure was covered with clapboard siding and had porches at both ends and a small entry porch with a bay above at the center of the front elevation. To the left, a second story bay window extended to the attic floor. The gable at that end of the house was bolstered by four small brackets and the gable was filled with two windows and decorative wood work. At the far right was a pavilion with a projecting second floor bay, the gable of which was braced by curved brackets and adorned with a long, narrow, hooded window.
Mr. and Mrs. Stimson had a large home built on North St in 1890. J. E. H. Stimson was a successful photographer and needed a big place to raise their seven children, The dwelling had an intimate feel to it. The form was much like that of the English cottage Waters designed for R. P. Finney of Oshkosh, mentioned in an earlier post. The building had clapboard siding on the first story and shingles on the upper floors To the right on the front was a pavilion, the second story projecting over a bay on the first floor. The gable featured a hooded triplet window.
A transverse pavilion formed the main body of the structure the roof line of which swept down past the second floor to cover the front entry porch. Just above the porch was a balcony with an arched opening to the side as well as the front. Just beyond the balcony opening was the bay which accommodated the stairway. At the rear of the house was side porch and entrance.

No comments:

Post a Comment