The block between Washington and Waugoo Street had the highest concentration of Waters designed buildings. Starting along the east side of Main Street at the corner of Waugoo was the Ferdinand Herrmann Block. Mr. Herrmann was grocer and had architect Waters plan a large building; two stories high, forty four by ninety with space for three stores, the building also had an elevator. It was one of the more elaborate structures to be erected with segmented columns flanking the great show windows, fancy window lintels, a large projecting cornice with two pediments on the front of the building. The total cost for the edifice was $8,000. The Oshkosh National Bank replaced it sometime in the early twentieth century.
The next building designed by Mr. Waters in that row of stores was that of Kaerwer & Henkel. George Henkel a shoe and boot dealer partnered with a barber named Jacob Kaerwer to erect a two story, twenty two by seventy store at a cost of $3,000. It severed as Mr. Henkel's store and on the second floor, his residence. The building survived well into the 1980's before being demolished. Just to the north was the Peters & McKenzie Block. Ferdinand Peters was proprietor of the Peters House, a hotel located on Kansas Street, his was a carpenter as well. Hugh McKenzie, who roomed at the Peters House was also a carpenter and lumber dealer, together they built for $5,000 a forty by eighty, two story building containing two stores and office space on the upper floor. It too fell to the wrecking ball in the 1980's.
The grocers, K. Dichman & Son also hired William Waters as the architect of their new building. Killian and his son William spent $6,000 for a two story structure measuring thirty six by eighty feet with two stores, warehouse space and living quarters on the second floor. The facade featured intricate brick work, brown stone trim and a galvanized iron cornice. The building no longer stands. Next to the Dichman stores was a building put up by Julius Heissinger. Julius was not associated with the Heissinger brothers in a business way but had the good sense to spend $5,000 and build a thirty two by eighty, two story building holding space for two stores and offices on the second floor. Julius was not a business man himself but he rented the store to Brauer's Ticket Agency and a cigar shop. By 1880 Julius had past away but left his widow with a nice rental income. The building was razed in the 1940's.
The prestigious corner of Washington and Main Streets was occupied by the Heissinger Brothers, Richard and Emil and their sister Alma as well. The family operated a bakery, restaurant and confectionery in the newly constructed forty by eighty building. It was two stories high with two store fronts and cost $7,000.
The exterior displayed some fancy brick work and a large pediment at the front and center of the building.
It was razed in order to build a new Woolworth store in the 1940's.
On the west side of Main Street there were but a few buildings designed by Mr. Waters. At the corner of High and Main Street was the Union National Bank, a twenty by one hundred and four foot, two story building of great beauty. A description of the structure can be found in a post, dated September 5, 2010. The building remained on that corner for many years but with some alteration; the front of the changed when it was converted to retail use. It was demolished and a drug store was erected in its place.
North of the bank were two small store fronts that came from architect Waters' drawing board: the Watts Block and Alfred Ford's building. Both stores were twenty by eighty and two stories high. The Watts block was erected by Mrs. Watts the widow of a grocer and was occupied by Joseph Boles, haberdasher. Alfred Ford built the next building in line, an outlet for the sale of California wines. These structures too were razed to accommodated a new drug store. Since that time the entire block was cleared for open space.