The city of Appleton was a fast growing center for population, manufacturing and commerce; and in 1892 had fourteen hotels. The rich farmland of Outagamie county brought many farmers to town to sell their produce. Often these business trips required an over night stay in the city and so was conceived the Farmers' Hotel. The building was listed in both the 1978 and 1989 architectural surveys of the city and William Waters credited as architect but no date of construction was given. The building was most likely erected in the early 1880's and was located on West College Avenue. The empty lot just east of the hotel served as a stock yard for animals awaiting sale. J. J. Young was the proprietor and by the late 1880's had change the name to The Commercial Hotel so as to appeal to the commercial travelers. Eventually the hotel ceased to be and the building was converted to retail use. An enclosed stairway was added to the east side of the structure using an architectural style compatible with the rest the the building. The building is still there and looks much as it did one twenty hundred years ago.