Following the devastating fire of 1887 the city of Marshfield ordained that commercial structures be constructed of brick. The massive fire had cleared Central Avenue and there was ample work for architects and masons. Less than a month after the blaze, Mr. William Upham was in Oshkosh at the office of architect Waters, reviewing drawing for the proposed new business block. The building was to be built on the corner of Central Avenue and 2nd Street, several block south of Uphams' mill and factory and occupy the same side of the street as the new Tremont Hotel and First National Bank. The edifice was two stories high with three store fronts and offices on the second floor. It was built of cream colored brick with bands of dark brick for visual interest. Along the top was a cornice and frieze of intricate brick work and at one end the cornice extended well above the rest of the building.
There were other buildings along Central Avenue which may also have been the work of William Waters, surly he would have taken the opportunity to seek other commissions in the burned out city. Pictured here is a building from the 1880's which still stands on Central Avenue, many of the older building have been replaced. The store exhibits many of the attributes associated with a design by architect Waters; the cornice, the accents around the windows and the small pediment at the center of the building, most notably. Mr. Waters was again in Marshfield in 1889 when the city built a new High School of his design, see the post of December 10, 2012.