Two buildings on Main Street were to be remodeled in to the largest department store north of Milwaukee. The plans for the job were prepared by architect William Waters and work was to commence on the first of May. The remodeled store was to occupy the space between the Plummer Company and the Commercial Bank, extending from Main Street to Division Street. Three floor and the basement were to be devoted to merchandise and the forth floor would be storage of reserve stock.
Mr. Heymann was born in Germany and came to the United States at age twenty, settling first in Michigan then Indiana before coming to Wisconsin. For a number of years Heymann peddled his merchandise throughout the Fox river valley, finally in the 1880's he was able to open a store in Oshkosh. He was a savvy businessman, who's motto was "Profits are made by turnover, not left overs." Heymann's business flourished and in 1923 he retired, selling the store to Henderson and Hoyt who had purchased the Plummer Company some years earlier. Henderson - Hoyt moved to the larger store and sold the Plummer building to W. T. Grant. In 1945 Henderson - Hoyt was sold to the Boston Store of Milwaukee. Sometime in the late 1950's Boston Store sold the Oshkosh store to Johnson Hills and after W. T. Grant went out of business the company purchased the building, combining the two and remodeling the facade and making one large department store. The building has long since ceased to be used for retail.