There are on Otter Avenue two more houses I believe to be the work of William Waters. Located next to Peter Nicolai’s Italianate Style house these two houses are mirror images of each other and of the Queen Anne Style. They were built in 1885 and were occupied at different times. Presently the houses are numbered 402 and 406 but in 1886 would have carrier the numbers 93 and 97, respectively. The dwellings are nearly duplicates of the rectory built in Appleton for the Episcopal church there. They show many of the stylistic elements that would mark them as the work of William Waters. There are on one side elevation double gables as seen on the J. W. Kelley residence of Washington Street. Like brackets supporting gables and eves are found on other Waters houses as well, they surly must have come from architect Waters’ drawing board.
See number 5, lower right corner.
An article in the Daily Northwestern of January 2, 1886 gives a list and dollar amount for the buildings completed in 1885, two are listed on Otter Street for C. D. Heath at $2,500 each, the report doesn't name any architects. Mr. Heath was born in Racine in and came to Oshkosh with his family in 1858. He was proprietor of a cigar shop and later the Senate sample room on Washington Street and Athearn Hotel. Additionally, Heath was second ward alderman and was for one week in April of 1891 the mayor of Oshkosh. Later he and his family moved to Marinette, Wisconsin, where he ran a hotel.
The first resident of number 406 was Frank D. Topliff a partner in the dry goods house of Hough and Topliff which had two locations, one on Oregon Street and the other on Main Street. The city directory of 1886 lists Mr. Topliff’s residence as 279 Jackson Street but the 1889 register locates him on Otter Avenue. Mr. Topliff came from New York in 1872 to Green Bay and married Miss Hoffmann while working for Seels and Best Dry Goods. In 1879 he traveled to Oshkosh and eventually partnered with Elbert Hough in the dry goods business. That arrangement went until 1894 when Topliff opened his own store. He remained it business until 1915 when he and his wife retired to Green Bay. Parenthetically Mr. Charles Heath was the Topliff Company treasurer.