Wednesday, April 10, 2019

New London Mystery


This past winter the folks at the New London, Wisconsin public museum published a wintery street scene which featured a large house.  I was at once convinced that the house was the work of William Waters, and now I must set about to prove it.  I will have to pay a visit to New London and research city tax records to find for whom the house was built, then I can research newspapers for that name and perhaps an article about the house.  I also consulted David Groth, an authority on architect Waters and he too thought the house to be the work of Mr. Wasters. 
There are several things that make me think the place is a Waters’ job; the triplet window in the gable, the large bay window on the first floor and the long slopping roof on the right side of the front elevation.   Over the years alteration have been made to the house, such as an expanded front porch and new siding, but the structure remained intact.  I will update this post when I’ve completed the research.    


No comments:

Post a Comment