The decade of the 1880’s saw much activity in Wisconsin’s north country. Immigrants from Germany, Scandinavia and eastern Europe found a fresh start in the forests of Wisconsin. The city of Waupaca was growing rapidly, and as the county seat required all manner of buildings, it too became a center of industry and commerce. Fine brick buildings lined either side of Main Street and a new ornate court house dominated the square at the center of town.
Another job in Waupaca undertaken by Mr. Waters was in 1909. Attorney Irving P. Lord hired Waters to design a business block with two retail spaces on the first floor and offices on the second floor. Architect Waters planed in the Neo-classic Style, built of red brick with limestone trim and metal cornice, complete with dentils. Large windows on the second floor were favored as they admitted much light and ventilation. Over the years some changes were made; the large second story windows were exchanged for smaller casements and the decorative cornice was removed. At some point the retail space on the ground floor was joined with that of the building next door and a large opening on the Granite Street side was bricked in.