Early on in his career, William Waters had aggressively pursued work away from Oshkosh. By the 1880’s the north woods had become more populated and commercialized with Waupaca county being an area of rapid growth. New London, on the banks of the Wolf River was a fast growing city, ripe with opportunity. In the Oshkosh Times of July 3, 1880 there was a brief article about the new hardware store of J. C. Hoxie in New London. The point of the article however was to point out the several Oshkosh individuals and companies that had played a part in the building’s construction. First to be mentioned was G. F. Stroud who had gone to New London to install two large plate glass windows. The missive goes on to say that J. R. Porter of Oshkosh was the contractor and that William Waters was the architect of the 30’ x 100’, two story structure.
It was indeed an edifice worthy of mention as it added greatly to prestige of North Water Street. It boasted of two of the largest plate glass window in the state, which measure 8’2” x 11’6”. The building was of cream colored brick with three sets of double windows on the second floor the arches of which had keystones and springers with craved rosettes. Intricate brick work capped the top of the building’s front elevation with the rosette motif repeated in the limestone blocks along the parapet and at the tops of pilasters. The building remained a hardware store but changed ownership several times before being replaced by a new, modern building