In the 1890’s the northern limit of Oshkosh was New York Avenue. There was north of the avenue the Fair Grounds and Race Course on Jackson Street with a few houses along that thoroughfare. The fairgrounds effectively blocked several streets from going much past New York Avenue and Wisconsin Street was one such roadway. In 1895 Wisconsin Street went as far as the southern boundary of the fairgrounds and there were but a few houses along its course. One on the west side of the street very near the terminus was the home of John Koehler, a body maker at the Clark Wagon Company.
The dwelling was a fine and stylist structure suitable for a working man and his family. It was one and half stories high with a small porch in the front corner. There was on the front elevation a gable with a set of double windows and along the south side of the house was a large bay window.