In a previous post Waters' early works for the Oshkosh school board were examined. In this post the subject will be school from 1871 to 1879. The school building needed for Oshkosh remained static from 1869 to 1871. By then however the city's west side sixth ward had grown and was in need of a school of its own. A lot on the corner of Sixth St. and Idaho St. was purchased for the proposed new edifice. The press showed little interest but for an article in the Oshkosh Time in September of 1871, listing new building from Waters' office.The school was a two story brick structure 40' X 64' in the Italianate style and laid out in a lengthwise form. There was a central pavilion with a door at center, flanked by windows. Above, on the second floor was a row of three windows. On the roof rose a louvered bell tower with a low pitched roof and small spire. Behind this section was the wider main body of the building with doors on the front elevation. As the west side population grew Waters drew plans for two
additions, in 1891 and 1909. The school would later become known as Franklin School. It was replaced in the 1960's.